If you will all indulge me in a non-advice-related blogpost… last night, my partner-in-crime, Cara and I were awarded an Artios from the CSA for our work in Los Angeles theatre. It was a moment I had dreamed about since the beginning of my career. And frankly, when I stepped up to the podium to make a speech, I went brain dead.
So I’d like to take a minute to properly thank some people who have had an incredible impact on the woman and Casting Director I am today.
In no particular order:
1. Our theatre family at The Blank: Cara and I have volunteered our services to this theatre company for many years and it has always been a creatively and emotionally gratifying experience. That they allow us to come play with them every year for the Young Playwrights Festival is truly a gift. Without their collaboration and trust, we wouldn’t have won this award. Thank you Daniel Henning, Bree Pavey, Heather Provost, Sarah Bauer, Stephen Moffatt and all of the other wonderful YPF producers, actors, writers and directors who have given us the freedom to be wildly creative.
2. My husband, Hartley: gosh, I am grateful to have this man as my partner, (and father to my child.) He is unbelievably supportive of my career, and especially of the work I do at the Blank. When he is seated next to me in a black box theater, my heart is beyond full.
3. My Blank casting partner-in-crime, Cara: this woman has grown from my intern, to my co-worker, to my confidant, partner, and forever friend. I am so grateful to share this honor with her. Carica Casting 4 Life.
4. My casting family: I have been lucky to work with some incredible people over the course of my career. Last night, I was cheered on, bolstered and honored to be with several of them when our names were announced. These wonderful women and men have taught me many things about casting, and also about how to be a true friend. Without them, I wouldn’t be the Casting Director I am today. To April Webster, Alyssa Weisberg, Cara Chute Rosenbaum, Angela Young, Ramani Leah, Jessica Sherman, Beth Ryne, Becky Silverman, Lisa Zambetti, Kim and Chuck McCollum, Chris Redondo, Mike Page, Brittainy Roberts… thank you for your friendship, your inspiration and your endless support. It means the WORLD to me.
5. My parents: my Mom and Dad have had my back from Day One. (Likewise, my big sister is my number one cheerleader. Amanda, you are the greatest big sister a girl could ever ask for.) My parents have always had faith in me and in my chosen profession (even during the unemployed times…) They have cheered me on every step of the way. They have talked me through professional crises, and reminded me of who I am and what I am capable of. They instilled in me a love of the arts and of artists. They have provided me with incredible examples of character, professionalism and the value of honesty. I am so proud to be their daughter. Mom and Dad, from the bottom of my heart, thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you all.
6. My son: he is my lucky charm. Being his mother is the greatest job I’ll ever have.
Ok! Back to audition advice next week. Thanks for indulging me.